I have some big, but flexible, plans for 2017. Learn more about my 2017 plans in my intro post. Check out the specifics of my reading challenges below:
To Read 5 of my most anticipated reads for each of the last 5 years.
Some of my most anticipated reads slip through the cracks simply because of time or my lack of memory. So, I decided to pick 5 books from each of the last 5 years that I was dying to read upon their release, but never got around to. The result is the following personal challenge:
The list totals 25 titles that were published between 2012 – 2016. Because most are the start of a series, I plan on reading as many of the sequels as possible in order to get some reviews for this blog!
(Fun Fact: That’s a total of 54 Books and 16 Novellas!)
One of the reasons my 365 Days of YA failed is that it was a little too specific about “when” I had to read the book. Because I will be relying on the library to read 99% of these books, I’m subject to the copy’s availability. I plan on picking the two reads for each month based on what is currently available at my library.
7 Books of 25 Read
0 of 5 Years Completed
- 2016 (2/5)
The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Syke
- The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Smut by Karina Halle
- Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- 2015 (2/5)
A Thousand Nights by E K Johnston
- The Bourbon Kings by J R Ward
- The Cage by Megan Shepherd
5 to 1 by Holly Badger
- The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz
- 2014 (1/5)
- Loop by Karen Akins
- Solitaire by Alice Aseman
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
- Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman
- Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire
- 2013 (1/5)
- The Archived by Victoria Schwab
- Born of Illusion by Teri Brown
- Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman
- The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen
- 2012 (1/5)
- The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow
- Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Denard
- The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
11 of 57 Total Books Read*
*I’ve opted not to read 5 sequels of the listed series
1 of 17 Novellas Read**
**I’ve opted not to read 10 novellas of the listed series
(Last Updated: June 25, 2017)
To grow your TBR pile responsibly and read the books you already own. You have ‘em, now read ‘em!
In the same vain as my Rock My TBR Challenge, I wanted one that would focus on the books I already own. I don’t like doing the same challenges twice so I went out in search of a new one and I found #ShelfLove which is hosted by Chapter Break and Second Run Reviews.
My Goal for 2017:
41-50 books: my shelves are now my bff
33 Books of 50 Read
Each month, I plan on drawing two paper stars from my TBR jar to decide what “target” books I want to finish for the month. If I don’t read that title, it gets carried over each month until I’ve completed it. I also plan on reading other books from my TBR, but I may not choose them through the star-draw system; more like whatever title suits my fancy at the time. So long as I read 4 TBR titles per month, I’m happy!
At the start of 2017: Kobo – 151 standalone/series | Kindle – 18 standalone/series*
8 of 151 Standalones/Inaugural Series Books on Kobo**
**I’ve DNF’d 7 books from this list
4 of 18 Standalones/Inaugural Series Books on Kindle
*These are series/novels I have bought, not freebie series/novels. I will be counting freebies as TBR reads, they just won’t be counted in the directly above progress bars. Any freebies will be added to the overall challenge progress bar.
- ✔ January (10):
- Tangled Mess by Kristen Middleton
- Kiro’s Emily by Abbi Glines
- Discovering Us by Harper Bentley
- For Everly by Raine Thomas
- Bad for You by Anna Antonia
- Covet by Melissa Darnell — DNF’d
- Undescribable by Shantel Tessier — DNF’d
- Just Say When by Kaylee Ryan
- Fair Game by Monica Murphy
- In the Dark by Monica Murphy
- Slow Play by Monica Murphy
- Safe Bet by Monica Murphy
- ✔ February (4)
- ✖ March (0)
- Pucked Up by Helena Hunting — DNF’d
- Pucked Over by Helena Hunting — DNF’d
- Passion by Lauren Kate — DNF’d
- ✖ April (2)
- Game. Set. Match. by Jennifer Iacopelli
- Ruined by You by Kelly Harper — DNF’d
- Because of Him by Jessica Roe
- ✖ May (2)
- Chandler by Laurelin Paige
- Truths About Dating & Mating by Jaycee DeLorenzo — DNF’d
- Nothing Like Him by Jessica Roe
- ✔ June (15)
- Meant for Her by Raine Thomas
- Undone by R E Hunter — DNF’d
- Pulse (1-4) by Deborah Bladon
- Impulse by Deborah Bladon
- A Workplace Affair by Isabella Rae
- Chase (1-4) by Cassia Leo
- Maybe Yes by Ella Miles
- Maybe Never by Ella Miles
- Maybe Always by Ella Miles
My Quarterly Discussion Posts:
- December 2016/January 2017: I’m joining in the #ShelfLove Challenge! Tell us your goals for the challenge this year. Will you be going on an all out book buying ban or are you setting a budget? Share pictures of your TBR piles or link up to your GoodReads Shelves.
- March/April 2017: Top books that have been on your shelf the longest that you haven’t read
- June/July 2017: Mid-year check in post. How are you doing with the challenge? Look back at your January post and let us know how you are doing. Share an updated picture or list of your TBR pile.
- September/October 2017:Top Books/Genres You are Addicted To
- December 2017/January 2018: End of the Year Check in Post. Look back at your June and January posts and let us know how you did this year. Share an updated picture or list of your TBR pile. Would you do the challenge again in 2018?
(Last Updated: June 25, 2017)
My goal is to read 175 books. That was my goal for last year (which I surprisingly surpassed!) but given all my life changes, I feel like this is a good target.
(Last Updated: December 23, 2016)
I thought it would be fun to randomly pick up a book solely based on its cover from my library. I used to do this back in my undergrad but I haven’t since. I’m not setting a specific goal, I’m just going to try to do this once a month for fun.
(Last Updated: December 23, 2016)
I joined a Jane Austen read-a-long which will go until April, but I’m hoping the momentum will motivate me to pick up some classic novels I’ve been neglecting over the years afterwards.
- Persuasion by Jane Austen — January 2017
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen — February 2017
- The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien — April 2017
(Last Updated: April 6, 2017)