Since the beginning of time, similar things have always been compared to each other: Pepsi or Coke? Lemon or Lime? Boxers or Briefs? And books are no exception!
Throwdown Thursdays: On the first Thursday of every month I play the ultimate game of “Would You Rather” with books that are inevitably compared to each other. After 3 rounds, I pick my winner. Feel free to join in by commenting, making your own response (just link back) or vote in my poll! Here is this month’s match:
Book Series vs Standalones
Why not end the year off with a big bang? I’m sure it is fairly obvious which of the two book types I will pick (SPOILER ALERT: it is in my web URL!) but even I enjoy the occasional standalone. I actually think I read more standalone novels than ever this past year and I have to say, I’ve really enjoyed them!
Like I did for my eReading vs Physical Books Throwdown, I’m going to forgo my usual format of rounds and list my pros and cons for each type. I’m not going to assign scores so I would LOVE to get your thoughts about your preferred format!
Contestant 1: Book Series
What I Love About Book Series:
- lots of characters to love
- multiple plot lines (I like lots of things happening at once)
- great world-building
- complex stories (ie multiple layers)
- get to watch characters develop over a larger time-span
What I Dislike About Book Series:
- waiting for the sequel 🙁
- I can never remember what happened
- Plot lines that get stretched out
- just because you can make a sequel doesn’t mean you have to!
- too many character names
- again, I have a crappy memory!
Contestant 2: Standalone
WHAT I Love ABOUT Standalones:
- no dragged out plot lines over multiple books
- I get a quick resolution (vs waiting a year for the next book)
- more character focused/driven stories
- can have complex plot lines
- rarely are there cliffhangers
WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT standalones:
- sometimes I just want more from their stories!
- basically, I want a sequel
IT’S UP TO YOU TO DECIDE!
What type of books do you prefer to read?
Leave a comment below!
Next Time: Science Fiction vs Dystopian
NOTE: In the new year (2016) I will be making this a seasonal feature instead of a monthly one in order to accommodate more book reviews. So you can expect to see the next Throwdown sometime before the end of Winter.