In my August Inventory, I mentioned that I kinda felt like I was in a bit of a crisis when it comes to reading and blogging. But September didn’t totally feel the same. Maybe having a purpose or direction (ie reading only sequels) helped me feel like I was getting stuff accomplished even if my numbers aren’t overly stellar (though they were pretty great compared to the last few months!).
Once again, I feel like the month just started yet here I am recapping it!
Total for September 2019: 15 Books Read + 3 Novellas Read
Last September: 13 Books Read + 2 Novellas Read + 5 DNFs
Standout Read (★★★★★)
I’m so sad that this series is over but this finale was perfect! Even more perfect is the fact that a spin-off series is in the works!
Biggest Let Down (★★)
This book just felt rushed and underdeveloped. Not a great way to end that series.
Previously posted series reviews that got updates:
You can always get the full details on all my challenges on my dedicated page but here is a quick update:
5 Year 5 Book Challenge: 0 books added | 16 of 25 Titles Read – 2 Books Behind
Goodreads Challenge: 18 books added | 124/200 Books – 25 Books Behind
Tackling the TBR Challenge: 5 books added | 20/24 Books – Ahead of Schedule!
Sequel Month #3!
In an effort to reduce the number of book series I have on the go (123 and counting!), I’ve decided to dedicate 4 months of 2019 to sequels. And I was inspired to do this because of the month of September! I always focus on sequels in September and this year, it’s no different. Approximately 89% of the books I read this month were sequels! You can see the breakdown of what I read below:
- # of Sequels Read: 16 + 2 in progress
- Hate F*@k Part 3 by Ainsley Booth (Forbidden Bodyguards #1)
- PS I Miss You by Winter Renshaw (PS Series #2)
- Consumed by Truths by Ella Miles (Truth or Lies #6)
- Rebound by Noelle August (Boomerang #2)
- PS I Dare You by Winter Renshaw (PS Series #3)
- Professor Feelgood by Leisa Rayven (Masters of Love #2)
- Red at Night by Katie McGarry (Pushing the Limits #3.5)
- Until We Burn by Courtney Cole (Beautifully Broken #2.5)
- Bounce by Noelle August (Boomerang #3)
- Marian, Princess Thief by C K Brooke (Mythic Maidens #3)
- Once We Were by Kat Zhang (The Hybrid Chronicles #2)
- Echoes of Us by Kat Zhang (The Hybrid Chronicles #3)
- The Blood Spell by C J Redwine (Ravenspire Series #4)
- The Darkest Hour by Lauren Smith (Surrender Series #4)
- Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare (Castles Ever After #4, Spindle Cove #5)
- Bad Love by Piper Lawson (Modern Love #2)
- Nightblood by Elly Blake (Frostblood Saga #3) — in progress
- Submerged by A M Deese (Dance of the Elements #2) — in progress
- # of Series Finished: 6
- PS Series
- Truth or Lies
- The Hybrid Chronicles
- Castles Ever After
- Spindle Cove
It was a good mix of continuing series and finishing series this past month. And I’m super excited that from of my efforts this month, some new review posts are going up in the next few months! For a little while, I was worried I wasn’t going to have enough content to keep up with my current posting schedule but this month has helped me schedule my reviews for nearly the first half of 2012.
Cleaning Up My Goodreads Shelves:
My main mission for 2018 was bringing my “Want to Read” shelf (new to me books) on Goodreads to a number below 500—and I totally did that! So this year, I’m aiming for a “Want to Read” shelf that is less than 400 titles. I’ve also set a goal to get my “Sequel” shelf below 250 titles.
June 1, 2019
Want to Read (New)
To Read (Sequels)
I’m really excited that my sequels are keeping steady below 250. It would be nice if my New to Me TBR items were closer to 400 but I’ve dropped quite a bit since my last quarterly check.
I used to do a big Goodreads Purge twice a year but I like the idea of doing a little bit at a time and had great success last year doing this on a monthly basis. The idea is to go through 5-10 books on your Goodreads TBR list chronologically and decide if they should stay or go. My 10 titles consist of 7 “new to me” titles and 3 “previously started series” titles.
Pass: 3 | Keep: 7
Grand Total YTD: Pass: 18 | Keep: 42
Did I give up on any too soon? Let me know in the comments below!
While this is a monthly meme hosted by Avalinah’s Books, I usually only update every quarter.
My Progress for January to September, 2019:
ARCs Read: 35 | ARCs Overdue: 3+1* | Upcoming: 1
(June State: ARCs Read: 23 | ARCs Overdue: 1+1* | Upcoming: 1
*Titles given to me as a member of an author’s street team to read ASAP.
I got a little request happy at the end of the month but I’ve been really good about limiting my ARC requests. I’m hoping to have most of the overdue novels finished in the upcoming weeks.
November is the last Sequel Month of the year for me so October will be about finishing my overdue ARCs, focusing on my 5 Year 5 Book Challenge as well as my Tackling the TBR Challenge.
What were your biggest reading or personal accomplishments of the past month?
Leave a comment below!